Main navigation

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: How can our family afford a private college like King?

A: At King, we are committed to providing students with a quality, affordable, private education. We work with families of all income levels and will meet one-on-one with your family to put together a financial aid package that meets your student’s educational needs. We’ll help you and your student evaluate scholarship availability and estimate state and federal aid so your family can get a handle on costs early in the process. Each year, we award more than $19 million in scholarships, grants, loans, and student campus employment. Ninety-eight percent of our students receive assistance with an average annual award of $17,520.

Q: How is financial aid determined?

A: Financial need is defined as the total cost of attendance (COA=room & board, tuition & fees, books, travel, and personal expenses) minus the expected family contribution (EFC), which is determined by the data submitted on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

Q: How is my family contribution determined?

A: A federal formula calculates your ability to contribute based on your family’s income, assets, number of members, number in college, and other factors. The federal formula then determines your expected family contribution (EFC). EFC formula worksheets are available at, click on publications.

Q: When should we apply for financial aid?

A: Applications for aid must be made as soon as possible after January 1 before the fall term of enrollment.

Q: Is there a way to get an early start on the financial aid process?

A: If you want to begin exploring your financial aid options, FAFSA4caster is for you!  By using FAFSA4caster, you and your family will receive an early estimate of eligibility for Federal student aid. The Department of Education’s FAFSA4caster website provides you with an opportunity to increase your knowledge of the financial aid process; become familiar with the various types of federal student aid that are available; and investigate other sources of aid, such as grants and scholarships.


Q: When should my student start applying for scholarships?

A: Your student’s junior year is a good time to start exploring scholarship opportunities. High school guidance counselors can provide more information and help your student find local scholarships. Start checking with civic organizations. Ask employers if scholarships or matching programs are available for students. Try to plan for deadlines. During your student’s senior year, make sure he or she has submitted all materials such as the application and references.

Q: What if I have a drastic change in my income compared to last year?

A: Changes in financial circumstance should be reported to the King University Financial Aid Office. Sometimes we are able recalculate eligibility, and additional sources of aid can be found to assist you.

Q: How do I request an IRS tax transcript for verification?

A: Choose one of the two options below to order your IRS Tax Transcript:

  1. To order your free IRS Tax Transcript online visit Under the TOOLS heading, click on Order a Return Transcript. Go to step (3) and click on Order a Transcript.
  2. Call 800.908.9946 to request a copy of your IRS Tax Return Transcript.

Q: How do I find the verification worksheets?

A: All verification worksheets are found in your financial aid portal under the Documents and Loan Info page.  If you have trouble finding it or downloading the worksheet, contact us via email at or call 423.652.4725.

Q: How do I find out if you offer military benefits?

A: The military has programs to assist you in paying for college. To learn more, visit military benefits or contact the Office of Financial Aid at 423.652.6021.

Q: How do I find out more about the Tennessee Lottery Scholarship?

A: To find out if you qualify or to do a change of institution form: Click here for more information.

Q: Where do I go to find out about previous student loans I have taken out?

A: You can go to NSLDS (National Student Loan Data System) and review all your loan information, including lender contact information.

Q: Where do I go to make payments for deposit or tuition or to set up a payment plan?

A: Click here for more information: Business Office.

Have more questions? Need assistance with forms? We’re here to help!


Office: 423.652.4725