The King Institute for Regional Economic Studies (KIRES) was established in 2012 to expand the scope of the King University Regional Economic Studies (KCRES) team. A small KCRES team was formed in 2010 within King’s School of Business to provide analysis of economic problems and opportunities confronting the region served by King University. Four reports were published under the KCRES banner from December 2010 through May 2012. All reports published by KCRES and KIRES are listed below.
The KIRES has broadened the original mission of the KCRES team to a threefold mission: to build a knowledge base of the regional economy, to inform public and private decision-making and to provide an opportunity for King students to participate in research projects.
The institute published up to two full reports per year, in the spring and fall semesters. Additionally, occasional reports that are the result of student research will be published as research is completed.
- Report 20: The Shift From Coal To Natural Gas In The U.S. Electric Power Sector: Impact On Global Greenhouse Gas Emissions And The Southwest Virginia Coalfield Economy – Feb. 2019
- Report 19: Local Labor Markets: Post-Recession Job Outlook and Links to the National Economy – Feb. 2018
- Report 18: An Economic and Statistical Analysis of the Retail Sector in the Tri-Cities – Jan. 2018
- Report 17: Contribution of Motor Vehicle Parts Manufacturing to the Knoxville Metro Economy – Feb. 2017
- Report 16: An Economic and Statistical Analysis of the “War on Coal” – July 2016
- Report 15: Regional Economic Impacts of Social Security Benefits and Other Government Transfer Payment Programs – Feb. 2016
- Report 14: Measuring Retail’s Contribution to the Tri-Cities Economic Base – Sept. 2015
- Report 13: Demographics of an Aging Southwest Virginia: Implications for the Regional Economy – May 2015
- Report 12: Replacing Coal Mining Jobs: Marginal Economic Impacts of Selected Industries in Southwest Virginia – Jan. 2015
- Report 11: Evaluating the Job Creation Potential of Large Scale Retail Development in the Tri–Cities – Apr. 2014
- Report 10: A Methodology to Rank Industries According to their Marginal Economic Impact: Case Studies for the First Congressional District of Tennessee and the Knoxville Metro Area – Jan. 2014
- Report 9: The Role of Health Care in the Knoxville Area Economy: Trends and Economic Impacts – Sept. 2013
- Report 8: Analysis of the Economy of the First Congressional District of Tennessee with Emphasis on the Manufacturing Sector – Apr. 2013
- Report 7: Economic Impacts of Job Losses in the Coal Mining Industry – Feb. 2013
- Report 6: Banking Practices and Needs of the Low Income Population of Southwest Virginia – Jan. 2013
- Report 5: The Role of Health Care in the Tri-Cities Economy: Trends, Projections and Economic Impacts – Nov. 2012
- Report 4: Economic Impact Multipliers for the Coalfield Region of Southwestern Virginia – May 2012
- Report 3: Local Labor Markets: Job Loss During the 2007-09 Recession and Links to the National Economy – Aug. 2011
- Report 2: Gasoline Price Forecast Model – Apr. 2011
- Report 1: Economic Impact Multipliers for the Mountain Empire Region – Dec. 2010