Main navigation

Military and Veteran Benefits

Veterans and Military Benefits

King is dedicated to providing quality educational opportunities for military service members, U.S. veterans, and their families. King welcomes the opportunity to work with you in finding the right academic and career path to help you reach your personal and professional goals.

King University recognizes the sacrifice that our military men and women and their family members have made to our country. Therefore, we feel it is our obligation to serve you in any way we can through advancing your education. We are here to assist the military students attending King University using educational benefits under the Department of Veterans Affair (VA) Educational Assistance Programs in the pursuit of their educational goals.

King University participates in the Yellow Ribbon program. This allows students using Post 9/11 GI Bill®, which covers tuition and fees not to exceed a national cap, to receive additional funds to help cover unmet costs. Only Veterans entitled to the maximum benefit rate under the Post-9/11 GI Bill®, as determined by service requirements, or their designated transferees may receive this funding.

We’re honored to serve those who serve our country.

King has been designated a Military Friendly® School by G.I. Jobs, the premier magazine for military personnel transitioning into civilian life. The Military Friendly® Schools list honors the top 20 percent of colleges, universities, and trade schools that are doing the most to embrace service members and veterans as students.

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website at

VA School Certifying Official

VA School Certifying Official
[email protected]

Education Benefit Programs

The admissions process and enrolling in classes must be completed before the University can certify enrollment; however, a student can apply for VA benefits before admittance to the University or enrolling in classes. The average processing time for education claims with the VA is 30 days.

King University aims to help military, veterans, and their families to further their education. This is why we offer reduced tuition rates so that service members can earn a degree from King at an even more affordable price. To receive the reduced military tuition rate, students must submit documentation before starting their first semester to verify eligibility. If you do not submit documentation by the deadline, you may apply for the discount to take affect the following semester.


Qualified military students (as defined by King University) are eligible to receive a discount on tuition cost upon submission of qualifying military documentation. Students will identify their active duty status when completing their Confirmation of Enrollment (COE) located on their student portal.


Adult study undergraduate programs (Associates and Bachelors), the tuition rate is $250 per credit hour, which is the Tuition Assistance cap for Army, Air Force, Navy, Marines, and Coast Guard.


A student who is active duty is in the military full time, may live on a military base, and can be deployed at any time. Individuals in Reserve, National Guard, Basic Training, or ADT do not qualify.

VERIFICATION OF ACTIVE DUTY STATUS: (one of the following must be submitted)

To receive the active-duty discount, students must confirm their active duty status by providing a copy of their orders or military transcripts (JST or CCAF), or have Tuition Assistance approval in one of the military branch portals. The tuition discount will be applied automatically to subsequent terms.

The Montgomery GI Bill® Selected Reserve (MGIB-SR) program offers up to 36 months of education and training benefits. If you’re a member of the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps or Coast Guard Reserve, Army National Guard, or Air National Guard, you may be eligible for this benefit. Find out if you qualify by clicking here:

The Montgomery GI Bill® Active Duty (MGIB-AD) can help you pay for education and training programs. If you’ve served at least 2 years on active duty, find out if you qualify for the MGIB-AD program. Find out if you qualify by clicking here:

If you have a service-connected disability that limits your ability to work or prevents you from working, Veteran Readiness and Employment (formerly called Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment) can help. This program—also known as Chapter 31 or VR&E—helps you explore employment options and address training needs. In some cases, your family members may also qualify for certain benefits. Find out if you qualify by clicking here:

The Post-9/11 GI Bill® (Chapter 33) helps you pay for school or job training. If you’ve served on active duty after September 10, 2001, you may qualify for the Post-9/11 GI Bill® (Chapter 33). Find out if you can get this education benefit by clicking here:

Find out if you’re eligible for VA education benefits for dependents and survivors (also called Chapter 35 benefits). If you’re a dependent spouse or child—or the surviving spouse or child—of a Veteran, you may qualify for Chapter 35 benefits or job training through a GI Bill® program. Find out if you can get this education benefit by clicking here:

Tennessee Public Chapter No. 229.

King University is a TN STRONG Act Approved School

As a member of the TN National Guard, you may be eligible for tuition assistance through the TN STRONG Act. King University is an approved school to use TN STRONG tuition assistance.

For more information on eligibility and instructions on how to apply for TN Strong, visit: State TA (

Tuition Assistance

Tuition Assistance (TA) is offered to service members to assist with the cost of tuition. TA typically covers 100% of tuition, up to $250 per credit hour. The AGS undergraduate tuition rate is reduced to $250 per credit hour.

Service members must receive approval from his or her Educational Services Officer (ESO) or counselor within the specific Military Service prior to enrolling to King University.

  1. Contact your enrollment counselor
    Your enrollment counselor can evaluate and help you with your GoArmyEd account
  2. Complete Registration on GoArmyEd Portal
    1. Visit and log into WWW.GOARMYED.COM
    2. Select “Request TA”
    3. Under “School” select “King University”
    4. Under “Subject” enter the subject code (e.g. MATH, ENGL, PSYC, etc.)
    5. Under “Catalog Number” enter the four-digit course number (e.g. ‘1010’ for ENGL 1010)
      • If you have trouble finding a course, leave this field blank
    6. Under “Start Date Between” enter the date range that includes the start date of your course
    7. You do not need to put in a course number – leave this blank
    8. Select “Next”
    9. Select “Request Class” to choose the courses you want to enroll in
    10. Select “Process Request”
  • Please wait for email confirmation before proceeding to financial check-in.
  • Authorization will be sent to King electronically once your registration has been processed and your TA is approved.

All TA must be approved prior to the GoArmyEd registration deadline.

Active Duty and Air National Guard

  1. Complete the admissions process  
  2. Apply for Tuition Assistance
    If you are AGR or Active Duty, visit the AIR FORCE VIRTUAL EDUCATION CENTER web portal to request TA. Once TA is approved, print the authorization form from the portal. If you are on drilling status, you may not be eligible to receive Federal TA. Contact your Education Office for more information.
  3. Submit the TA form to the Military Affairs Office
    Your TA form may be submitted by fax to 423.652.4727 or scanned/emailed to [email protected].

Active Duty and Reserve

Air Force Reserve students may request TA reimbursement through their military education office. This means that payment must be made directly to King and students will receive reimbursement upon successful completion of the course. Please note that TA must be requested before the start date in order to receive reimbursement.

  1. Complete the admissions process
  2. Apply for Reimbursement Tuition Assistance
    Log in to the AIR FORCE PORTAL and follow these DETAILED INSTRUCTIONS on the TA application process.
    NOTE: “Reservists must apply for Tuition Assistance before the start of each class. The Reservist pays attending institution all costs associated with taking each class(s), and is then reimbursed (payment made directly to student) if the grade earned is a C- or better, to include “Satisfactory” and “Pass” on an alternate scale.”
  3. Print Grade Report in Student Portal
  1. Complete the admissions process 
  2. Apply for TA
    Apply for TA online, using links provided below, or contact your education office on base. Please make a note of your registration information (course titles, enrollment dates, etc.) as this will be required on the TA application. Once approved, you will receive the authorized form.
  3. Submit TA form to [email protected].

Eligible Programs for VA Benefits

  • All online degree programs
    • Note: A student receiving VA Benefits that are enrolled in a program that requires clinical, practicums, observations, internship, or student teaching will be required to complete those requirements only in the state of Tennessee.
  • All face-to-face programs located in the state of Tennessee
    • Note: A student receiving VA Benefits that are enrolled in a program that requires clinical, practicums, observations, internship, or student teaching will be required to complete those requirements only in the state of Tennessee.
  • All King undergraduate degree programs
  • All King graduate and doctoral programs
    • Graduate Business Small Business Management Track
  • Degree Seeking certificate programs

Please check with the School Certifying Official to make sure your program is accepting new enrollments.

How to Get Started

  • First time using VA Benefits:
    • The first step you need to take is to apply for educational benefits with Veteran Affairs. If you have never used your benefits before, you will complete the online 22-1990 Application for VA Education Benefits. The online application can be found at the following link:
    • For Assistance with the application process, please contact the VA office directly at 1-888-442-4551 or visit
  • Transferring Benefits from another Institution:
    • If you have used your benefits with another institution, you will need to complete the 22-1995 Request for Change of Program or Place of TrainingThe online application can be found at the following link:
  • Tuition Assistance, TN Strong or Active Duty Discount:
    • Tuition Assistance – provide a copy of your approved tuition assistance papers to the School Certifying Official by uploading a copy to the appropriate link on the student portal.
    • TN Strong – complete the application and upload a copy to the appropriate link on your student portal.
    • Active Duty Discount – provide active duty documentation to the School Certifying Official by uploading a copy to the appropriate link on the student portal.

All students using VA approved Education Benefits will provide a copy of the Certificate of Eligibility (COE) provided by the VA once benefit application has been approved, DD214 or NOBE documents to the School Certifying Official. Documents will be uploaded to the student portal by clicking here.

Required documents and applications by program can be found here.

Certification Process

Certification is the school’s way of notifying VA that a student is enrolled and wishes to use VA Educational Benefits. Changes in enrollment may impact or delay eligibility. It is the student’s responsibility to comply with all laws and regulations controlling eligibility and receipt of veterans’ benefits. Tuition and fees are submitted to the VA, via the VA- ONCE website and are based on the start and end date of each module registered.

King University is only responsible for forwarding the student’s claim for benefits and certification of enrollment to the Department of Veterans Affairs, and that further processing on a claim of benefits is controlled solely by the Department of Veterans Affairs.

The chapter and percentage of benefits are based on the time of service and other factors evaluated by Veteran Affairs, which is noted on the student’s Certification of Eligibility (COE). The School’s Certifying Official (SCO) will process certification of enrollment when the following documents have been submitted.

  • Certificate of Eligibility (COE)
  • DD214 or Notice of Eligibility (NOBE)
  • Veteran Enrollment Agreement
  • Student Responsibility
  • VA Certification Request Form (submitted every semester)

VA Forever GI Bill®: Monthly Housing Allowance Guide – click here

Billing Responsibilities

Any covered individual will be able to attend or participate in the course of education during the period beginning on the date on which the individual provides to the educational institution a certificate of eligibility for entitlement to educational assistance under chapter 31 or 33 (a “certificate of eligibility” can also include a “Statement of Benefits” obtained from the Department of Veterans Affairs’ (VA) website – eBenefits, or a VAF 28-1905 form for chapter 31 authorization purposes) and ending on the earlier of the following dates:

  • The date on which payment from VA is made to the institution.
  • 90 days after the date the institution certified tuition and fees following the receipt of the certificate of eligibility.

King University will not impose any penalty, including the assessment of late fees, the denial of access to classes, libraries, or other institutional facilities, or the requirement that a covered individual borrow additional funds, on any covered individual because of the individual’s inability to meet his or her financial obligations to the institution due to the delayed disbursement funding from VA under chapter 31 or 33.

Military/Civilian Transcripts

Prior Learning Assessment (PLA) is a term used to describe the evaluation of college level learning for college credit that is gained outside a traditional academic environment. King University employs prior learning assessment aligned with institutional mission, academic integrity, and student educational attainment and success.

PLA credits apply toward majors, minors, concentrations, general education requirements, and electives that count toward the degree being sought in the same manner as traditional courses. PLA credits shall not be treated differently in their application and use than their course equivalencies or appropriate block credit. PLA may be accepted up to 30 total credits of a bachelor degree, and up to 15 total credits of an associate degree. These total credits may be comprised of multiple types of PLA.

The American Council on Education (ACE) Military Guide is the primary resource that King University uses as a basis for crediting formal courses and occupations offered by all branches of the military. These credits recommendations appear on the services members’ Joint Services Transcript.

Request Transcripts

Request ALL transcripts (military and other) to be sent to King.

Request transcripts to be sent to:

King University
Office of Admissions
1350 King College Rd
Bristol, TN 37620