Main navigation

Temporary Disabilities

King University recognizes that individuals with temporarily disabling conditions may need access to services and resources like those needed by individuals with permanent disabilities. A temporarily disabling condition may be the result of an acute injury or medical condition, hospitalization, or pregnancy-related condition. While most temporary conditions are considered transitory and minor with an actual or expected duration of 6 months or less, and thus do not fall under the protections of disability law, the University still seeks to provide support to students in those situations.
Most short-term needs can be met through existing options or informal short-term arrangements:

General Considerations

  • Discuss your condition with your medical provider to best understand the impact on your educational experience and the anticipated duration.
  • Determine what related needs or barriers you may encounter at King.
  • Communicate directly with University Officials (i.e., instructors or supervisors) immediately and in advance, when possible. Discuss the duration and impact, such as lifting, walking, time it takes to complete tasks, etc. and identify any related barriers.

If needed, request accommodations through the Office of Learning & Disability Services using the Academic Accommodations Request Form and/or the Housing Accommodations Request Form.

Attendance and Academic Requirements

Attendance and participation are essential for success in a course. If a short-term absence is required for surgery, treatment, or recovery, students should communicate with instructors to determine potential attendance alternatives, such as virtual attendance or attending an alternate section, or a specific timeline for the completion and submission of assignments or assessments missed during the absence. This communication should occur as far in advance of the absence as possible. On-going absences can greatly impact the ability to complete essential course requirements and may necessitate alternatives such as a medical withdrawal if unable to complete the work.

Students should consult with their instructors to request other, short-term, accommodations if needed, such as options for missed or make up tests, an alternative seat assignment, permission to stand/sit as needed during class, etc. Provision of these accommodations are at the discretion of the faculty member.

It is possible that the accessibility features on a computer or phone, such as Text-to-Speech (to read materials) or Speech-to-Text (to dictate responses for papers, email, etc.), could be useful when dealing with a temporary disability.

Printing course materials (such as PowerPoint slides, if available) before class can reduce reliance on the projected or electronic version.

Course Schedule Adjustments

At times, a temporary disability is so significant that it impacts a student’s ability to complete course requirements within the term and incomplete grade or withdrawal options must be considered.

If a student wishes to seek an Incomplete (I) grade in a course to allow additional time for the completion of required coursework after the course ends, they must discuss their request with and receive the approval of the instructor of the course. The instructor must then follow the institutional process for assigning a grade of I.

If anticipated, such as a known upcoming surgery and recovery period, work with your Student Success Specialist and/or Academic Advisor to develop a schedule that includes accessible class formats (such as online classes), accommodates the need for extra time to transition between classes, or consists of a lighter class load to allow for recovery.

If necessary, discuss withdrawing from all courses for the term and/or taking a leave of absence for a semester to facilitate treatment and/or recovery with your Student Success Specialist and/or Academic Advisor.

Parking & Navigating Campus

Per state law, the use of handicap parking spaces on campus is restricted to those with state-issued handicap parking permits. Handicap parking permits, including permits for temporarily limited or impaired persons, can only be issued by the appropriate state government agency (generally the Department of Motor Vehicles). Students must obtain a temporary permit from the state in which their vehicle is registered.

Alternate King University parking permits may be issued to individuals that have injuries, special needs, or disabilities. Individuals with a special need or injury must show documentation from a healthcare provider to receive an alternate parking permit. Students will be directed where to park by the Director of Security.

Consider that additional time may be required to navigate campus and develop a plan. For challenges navigating campus, consider using personal mobility devices, in consultation with a healthcare professional, such as motorized scooters, knee scooters, or crutches. Individuals often find if knee scooter/crutches are both options, a knee scooter is more effective for navigating campus.

The University does not provide shuttles or other transportation services.

Pregnancy/Parenting Students

Per Title IX, King University provides the same services to pregnant and parenting students that it provides to students with temporary medical conditions. Specifically, support is provided for pregnancy, childbirth, false pregnancy, termination of pregnancy, and recovery.

Absences due to pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions will be excused with documentation from a medical professional indicating that such absences are deemed necessary.

Pregnant and parenting students are encouraged to work with their instructors to provide advanced notice should any absence coincide with any academic obligations such as test dates and deadlines. Reasonable adjustments can be made by faculty to assist students needing assistance. Faculty members are to allow students the opportunity to make up the work missed while out due to pregnancy or any related conditions, including recovery from childbirth.

To request assistance due to your pregnancy or parenting status, please contact the Office of Learning & Disability Services and/or contact the Title IX Coordinator or Assistant Title IX Coordinator.

For more information or assistance with needs because of a temporarily disabling condition, please contact the Office of Learning & Disability Services at 423-652-4303 or [email protected].