Students may complete requirements for a minor in secondary education by completing the coursework listed and taking initial assessments. To achieve licensure to teach in grades 6-12, students must complete, in addition to the Common Experience and Core requirements, an approved academic major with a licensure track, the education minor, and the additional licensure requirements.
King University offers eight (8) Tennessee-approved 6-12 licensure programs:
- and Spanish.
In addition, King University offers three (3) Tennessee-approved K-12 licensure programs:
- Vocal/General Music K-12,
- Instrumental/General Music K-12,
- and Physical Education K-12.
Students interested in one of these programs should consult with their major academic advisors and the Director of Teacher Education.
Students are encouraged to meet with King University faculty to develop degree completion plans and to schedule assessments in a timely manner. Degree completion plans will consider any prior coursework that may substitute for courses that appear here and will identify additional courses required for licensure in Tennessee that were not included within a student’s previous college work.
- Opportunity to complete degree and licensure requirements in 4 years (2 years if a transfer student)
- Small class sizes enable more faculty-student interaction
- Field experiences are integrated throughout the program
- Valuable relationships between the department and local school systems
- Designated licensure officer on-hand to answer questions and complete state licensure applications
- Formal Application
- 3.0 cumulative GPA
- Sufficient ACT/SAT scores or passing Praxis Core Series
- Writing Sample
- Background Check
- 3 Letters of Recommendation