Main navigation

Complaint and Grievance Procedures

Student Grievance Policy

King University seeks to maintain effective and supportive relationships between students and faculty/staff members within the University. However, when a student believes he or she has been treated unjustly by the University or any employee of the University, in a way that violates his/her personal rights or is in opposition to University policies, the student may file the grievance with the University and expect appropriate resolution. Please note the attached policy and form:

Additional information is also available in the King University Student Handbook.

Complaint Procedure for Students Enrolled at Tennessee Instructional Locations

Should the institution not be able to resolve the student complaint, the student has the right to contact the state of Tennessee and its appropriate agency to determine the course of action.  Complaints can be filed with the following agencies in Tennessee:

  • Complaints related to the application of state laws or rules related to approval to operate or licensure of a particular professional program within a postsecondary institution shall be referred to the appropriate  State Board (i.e., State Boards of Health, State Board of Education, and so on) within the Tennessee State Government and shall be reviewed and handled by that licensing board (, and then search for the appropriate division);
  • For students attending programs in Tennessee, complaints related to state consumer protection laws (e.g., laws related to fraud or false advertising) shall be referred to the Tennessee Division of Consumer Affairs and shall be reviewed and handled by that Unit ( For out-of-state students using distance learning programs, complaints related to consumer protection laws shall be filed using the Tennessee NC-SARA Portal form:

Complaint Procedure for Students Enrolled at Out-of-State Instructional Locations

Students enrolled in academic programs in Virginia should follow the student complaint procedures outlined in the King Student Handbook. Students who follow King grievance policies without resolution of their concern may, as a last resort, contact a staff member of the State Council of Higher Education in Virginia (SCHEV) to file a complaint about the school.

State Council of Higher Education for Virginia
101 N. 14th St. 10th FL
James Monroe Building
Richmond, VA 23219

Complaint Procedure for Students Enrolled in Distance Education Programs

Complaint Resolution Policies and Procedures for Non-Tennessee Resident Students in State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement States, commonly known as SARA.

Student complaints relating to consumer protection laws that involve distance learning education offered under the terms and conditions of the State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement (SARA), must first be filed with the institution to seek resolution.

Complainants not satisfied with the outcome of the Institution’s internal process may appeal, within two years of the incident about which the complaint is made, to the Tennessee Higher Education Commission (

For purposes of this process, a complaint shall be defined as a formal assertion in writing that the terms of SARA or the laws, standards or regulations incorporated by the SARA Policies and Standards ( have been violated by the institution operating under the terms of SARA.

For a list of SARA member States, please visit the NC-SARA website ( Students residing in non-SARA states should consult their respective State of residence for further instruction for filing a complaint.

Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC)

Complaints regarding accreditation standards, policies, and procedures can also be made by contacting the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges, 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, Georgia  30033-4097, telephone: 404.679.4500.  The Commission’s complaint policy, procedure, and the complaint form may be found on their website,