“Student success is defined as academic achievement; engagement in educationally purposeful activities; satisfaction; acquisition of desired knowledge, skills and competencies; persistence; attainment of educational objectives; and post-college performance” (Kuh, et al., 2006).
King’s Student Success Model
Built on the framework of the Appreciative Inquiry Model, King University assigns a Student Success Specialist to all students. The role of the Student Success Specialist is to:
- Maintain contact with assigned students in order to enhance academic success and increase retention/graduation rates
- Meet with assigned students in one-on-one sessions in order to increase motivation, encourage achievement, monitor academic success and assess student’s ability to persist to the next semester/academic year
- Assist the student with registration and other University processes.
- Foster discussion on such topics as classes, study habits, major selection, student interaction, family relationships, and campus involvement
- Provide immediate (24-48 hour) follow-up on all early alert referrals
- Direct students to the appropriate resources available to help ensure their success
Student Success Specialists
Students can find contact information for their assigned Student Success Specialist via the Student Portal.