“I love teaching when I know I can have a positive impact on my students’ lives.” Emma King, Class of 2018.
Teaching is a profession that has a profound impression on future generations with daily challenges and joys. If you have an interest in teaching as a career or have always wanted to be a teacher, you can reach that goal in 4 years at King University.
- Over the last three years, more than 85 percent of our graduates have been hired by local school districts
Students have the opportunity to get more than 100 practical observation hours in a variety of settings, prior to student teaching
All of our instructors have practical experience in a public school setting.
Teacher Licensure Programs & Endorsements
The Teacher Education Department offers baccalaureate degrees for initial teacher licensure in elementary education (K-5), secondary education (6-12), K-12 music education (both vocal and instrumental), and K-12 physical education. Adding an ESL (English as a Second Language endorsement to your teaching is possible with additional coursework.
For information about the ESL Endorsement, click here.
Elementary Education with K-5 Licensure
A specially designed “2+2” Elementary Education major with K-5 licensure is available on both the Bristol and Knoxville campuses. Students who hold the Associate degree in teaching, or closely related AA degree, should consider this program. King’s program is compatible with both Virginia and Tennessee community college teacher education AA degrees.
The Elementary Education major includes concentrations in Math, Science, Social Studies, and English Language Arts. K-5 licensure courses will offer knowledge and practice in lesson planning, literacy, formative and summative assessment, English as a Second Language, teaching methods, and more.
The Elementary Education program is designed with the busy learner in mind. In the program you will:
- Complete the program in as little as 20 months
- Attend class one night per week right up to the student teaching practicum
- Take classes on campus and online to complete a full-time load each semester
- Communicate with an academic advisor every step of the way
- Obtain licensure in one of 10 Tennessee-approved licensure programs
- Complete a 15 week student teaching placement in the final semester
- For more detailed information on GPS degree completion plans, click here.
- For more detailed information on Traditional degree completion plans, click here.
Our Mission is to Prepare You For a Career With:
- A commitment to community and service
- Academic and technical competence
- An appreciation for diverse abilities and cultures
Elementary Education With K-5 Licensure Program is Designed for Students Who Are:
- Ready to pursue the vocation of teaching
- Have a passion for the well-being of children
- Want the flexibility of attending classes in the evening
The Education Licensure Program Specifics:
- Designed to help you complete the program in as little as 20 months
- Full K-5 licensure program
Student Teaching in the Final Semester
After fulfilling all King University and Tennessee Department of Education requirements, including course work and successful Praxis scores, students will spend the final semester prior to graduation in the field, student teaching and making connections that will lead to positive relationships and possible employment.
- History – Government
- Exercise Science
- Music – Vocal
- Music – Instrumental
- Interdisciplinary Studies
- English as a Second Language (ESL)
- Special Education Interventionist K-8
After gaining admission into the Teacher Education program in your sophomore year, students will be able to follow a plan that leads to a career in elementary, or high school teaching, as well as music and physical education.
Are you interested in impacting lives and making a lasting difference? If you believe teaching is your calling, please visit King’s Education offices in Kline Hall. We can answer your major related questions and you’ll be able to meet your professors.
- To view all required courses for K-5 Licensure, click here.
- To view all required courses for 6-12 Licensure, click here.
- To view all required courses for a BA or BS in Education with an Endorsement, click here.
- To view all required courses for a Minor in Education, click here.
- For Education course descriptions, click here.
The Education program requires a laptop with Microsoft Office 2010 or later, and wireless and webcam capability.