I am Alyssa Sloan, Ph.D. I love what I teach because communication is practical and relevant to our everyday lives. Humanity’s unique capacity for communication grants us privilege and power. Communication—it all its forms—offers us the opportunity to question, learn, challenge, teach, and share.
I began teaching at King University in 2011. Developing the communication program for Knoxville campus and online learners has been keenly rewarding. The students involved in King’s communication program are among the smartest, sincerest, and most dedicated students I have ever had the pleasure of knowing!
Though I love the discipline of communication, my interests do extend beyond class discussion and research articles. I enjoy reading, gardening, hiking, and cycling. I love spending time with my husband—whether completing home renovations or relishing a mellow evening on the back porch. Quiet evenings are rare, however, because our toddler sons keep us “on our toes!”
- PhD in Crisis Communication | University of Kentucky | Lexington, KY
- MA in Applied Communication | University of Arkansas at Little Rock | Little Rock, AR
- BA in Speech Communication | University of Central Arkansas | Conway, AR
[Note: Maiden name is Millner]
Peer-reviewed Journal Publications
- Sloan, A.G.& Knowles, A.L. (2017). Patient engagement: Qualitative narratives illustrate patient engagement behaviors. Journal of Communication in Healthcare, 10(2), 78-87. http://dx.doi.org/1080/17538068.2017.1340541
- Veil, S.R., Dillingham, L.L. & Sloan, A.G. (2016). Fencing out the Jones’s: The development of response strategies for spillover crises. Corporate Reputation Review, 19(4), 316-330. http://dx.doi.org/1057/s41299-106-0010-3
- Sloan, A.G. & Knowles, A.L. (2013). Improving Communication Between Healthcare Providers and Cancer Patients: A Pilot Study. Journal of Communication in Healthcare, 6(4), 208-215. https://doi.org/10.1179/1753807613Y.0000000040
- Anthony, K.E., Sellnow, T.L, & Millner, A.G. (2013). Message convergence as a message-centered approach to analyzing and improving risk communication. Journal of Applied Communication Research, 41(4), 346-364. http://dx.doi.org/1080/00909882.2013.844346
- Millner, A.G., Veil, S. R., & Sellnow, T. L. (2011). Proxy communication in crisis response. Public Relations Review, 37(1), 74-76. http://dx.doi.org/1016/j.pubrev.2010.10.005
Book Publication, Book Chapter, or Essay
- Sloan, A.G. (2020). First things first. The Kayseean. https://thekayseean.com/
- Millner, A.G. (2018). Informative speech with presentational aids: College student volunteering and civic engagement. In R.F. Verderber, K.S. Verderber, & D.D. Sellnow (Eds.), The challenge of effective speaking in a digital age (17th) (pp. 206-208). Cengage Learning.
- Seeger, M.W., Sloan, A.G., & Sellnow, T.L. (2016). Crisis communication research in the United States. In A. Schwarz, M.W. Seeger, & C. Auer (Eds.), Handbook of International Crisis Communication (422-434). John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Sloan, A.G. & Anthony, K.E. (2015). Between a rock and a hard place. In M. Ramsey (Ed.) Issues of culture and conflict: Case studies in organizational communication. Kendall Hunt.
- Millner, A.G. (2015). Informative speech with presentational aids: College student volunteering and civic engagement. In R.F. Verderber, D.D. Sellnow, & K.S. Verderber (Eds.), The challenge of effective speaking in a digital age (16th) (pp. 220-225). Cengage Learning.
- Anthony, K.E., Sellnow, T.L., & Sloan, A. (Millner). (December 2013). Converging on safety: The most believable risk communication messages. Communication Currents, 8(6), 2-3.
- Millner, A.G. (2013). Credibility. In B. Penuel, M. Statler, R. Hagen, Encyclopedia of crisis management.(Vols 1-2). Sage Publications, Inc. http://dx.doi.org/10.4135/9781452275956
- Millner, A.G. (2013). Food security. In B. Penuel, M. Statler, R. Hagen, Encyclopedia of crisis management.(Vols 1-2). Sage Publications, Inc. http://dx.doi.org/10.4135/9781452275956
- Millner, A.G. & Sellnow, T.L. (2013). Silence in the turmoil of crisis: Peanut Corporation of America’s response to its sweeping salmonella outbreak. In S.K. May (Eds.), Case studies in organizational communication: Ethical perspectives and practices, published (2nd). Sage Publications, Inc.
- Millner, A.G. & Price, R.D. (2012). Chapter three: Ethics in public speaking. Project funded by the Pennsylvania State System of Higher Education: http://publicspeakingproject.org/
- Millner, A.G. (2012). Informative speech with presentational aids: College student volunteering and civic engagement. In R.F. Verderber, D.D. Sellnow, & K.S. Verderber (Eds.), The challenge of effective speaking (15th) (pp. 229-235). Cengage Learning.
- Sloan, A.G. (2016, September 5). Dr. Alyssa Sloan: Importance of communication cannot be overstated. Greater Knoxville Business Journal. http://archive.knoxnews.com/business/journal/dr-alyssa-sloan-importance-of-communication-cannot-be-overstated-389faa13-0d16-2128-e053-0100007f4ae-392032031.html
- Sloan, A.G. (2019, August). FUELing your career: Preparing for a job interview. Chamber Life. https://www.farragutchamber.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/201908.pdf
- Sloan, A.G. (2019, November 14–17). Accelerating for survival: Expanding the scholarship of teaching and learning in adult accelerated programs [Panel Session]. National Communication Association 105th Conference, Baltimore, MD. https://www.natcom.org/nca-105th-annual-convention-communication-survival
- Sloan, A.G. (2018, May). The elephant in the boardroom: Resolving conflict on your board [Conference Presentation]. Presentation at the 2018 Alliance for Better Nonprofit Board Excellence Conference, Knoxville, TN. https://www.betternonprofits.org/blog/april-2018-(1)/meet-the-2018-board-excellence-conference-presente
- Anthony, K.E. & Sloan, A.M. (2017, April 5–9). Between a rock and a hard place [Discussions and Applications]. Southern States Communication Association 87th Conference, Greenville, SC. https://ssca.memberclicks.net/2017-convention
- Sloan, A.G. (2016, November 10–13). The senior portfolio as an assessment tool: Students’ perceptions and evidence of what they have achieved [Panel Session]. National Communication Association 102th Conference, Philadelphia, PA. https://www.natcom.org/nca-102nd-annual-convention-communication%E2%80%99s-civic-callings
- Sloan, A.G.(2016, November 10–13). Research in progress: Cancer patients reveal communication best practices [Research Roundtable]. National Communication Association 102th Conference, Philadelphia, PA. https://www.natcom.org/nca-102nd-annual-convention-communication%E2%80%99s-civic-callings
- Veil, S. R., Dillingham, L. L., & Sloan, A. G. (2016, March). Reputational interdependence and public relations strategies in a spillover crisis [Paper Presentation]. International Public Relations Research Conference, Miami, FL.
- Millner, A.G. (2012, November 14–18). Ethics and communicating about ethics at MEO [Paper Presentation]. National Communication Association 98th Conference, Orlando, FL. https://www.natcom.org/sites/default/files/annual-convention/NCA_Convention_Archives_2012_Program.pdf
- Millner, A.G. (2011, November 16–20). The role of proxy communicators in the peanut paste contamination: A voice in food crisis discourse [Paper Presentation]. National Communication Association 97th Conference, New Orleans, LA. https://www.natcom.org/sites/default/files/annualconvention/NCA_Convention_Archives_2011_Program.pdf
- Anthony, K.E. & Millner, A.G. (2011, November 16–20). Message convergence and health literacy during food contamination crises [Poster]. National Communication Association 97th Conference, New Orleans, LA. https://www.natcom.org/sites/default/files/annualconvention/NCA_Convention_Archives_2011_Program.pdf
- Millner, A.G. (2010, November 14–17). Research in progress: The role of a proxy communicator during crises [Paper Presentation]. National Communication Association 96th Conference, San Francisco, CA. https://convention2.allacademic.com/one/nca/nca10/
- Millner, A.G. & Sellnow, T.L. (2010, September). PCA’s peanut paste crisis: Proxy communication from industry and government leaders [Poster]. National Center for Food Protection and Defense, Chaska, MN.
- Anthony, K.E., Millner, A.G., & Petrun, E. (2009, November 12–15). Challenges and opportunities for timely crisis communication via television coverage. Paper presented at the National Communication Association 95th Conference, Chicago, IL. https://convention2.allacademic.com/one/nca/nca09/
- Additionally, Dr. Sloan develops communication-centered presentations when invited by local non-profits, chambers, associations, etc. For example, visit Alliance for Better Nonprofit’s website to see past and future trainings by Dr. Sloan.