interior static banner

King University News :: Former King College President, Dr. Roy K. Patteson, Jr., Passes

The King College community mourns the passing of former president Dr. Roy K. Patteson, Jr.  Born Oct. 27, 1928, Dr. Patteson passed away on Thursday, Aug. 30, 2012 in Harrisonburg, Va. 

Dr. Patteson attended the University of Virginia as an architecture major before being drafted in the U.S. Army, where he served as a draftsman at Fort Scott in San Francisco, Calif., and later at Camp Hood, Texas.  Subsequent to his military service, he entered the University of Richmond, earning his Bachelor of Arts degree in 1957. He then enrolled in Union Theological Seminary and earned his Bachelor of Divinity degree in 1961.  

Dr. Patteson was then ordained as a minister in the Presbyterian Church (USA) and served in the Orange Presbytery at three local churches in Greensboro and Chatham Counties in North Carolina.  He enrolled at Duke Divinity School for graduate study in Biblical Languages and Literature, where he received his Master of Theology degree in 1964.  He received his Ph.D. degree from Duke University in 1967, where he completed important scholarly work on the Masada scrolls and apocryphal manuscripts, which had been recently discovered in the Dead Sea area.  

Dr. Patteson joined Peace College in 1965 as head of the Department of Social Studies then transitioned to Davidson County Community College as an instructor in History and as the academic dean in 1968.  These posts led Dr. Patteson to greater involvement in administrative matters, leading to his presidency at Southern Seminary (now Southern Virginia University) in Buena Vista, Va., in 1970.  He then served as vice president for Development at Mary Baldwin College in Staunton, Va., from1972 until 1977, at which time Dr. Patteson made the move to King College to serve as president, an office he held through 1979.  He then served as vice president at Virginia Wesleyan College in Norfolk until his retirement.

Since 1961, and throughout his career, he was a faithful member of The Presbyterian Church (USA) and was recently recognized for 50 years of service by the Eastern Virginia Presbytery.  

Upon his retirement, he and his wife, Pauline, became avid oil painters which led to their fulfilling travel to Italy and the coastal communities in New England and Maritime Provinces of Canada.  His abundant works have been shown in many exhibits; some of his pieces were chosen for awards at the Oil Painters of America national shows.