MSN Admissions Requirements
To be eligible for enrollment in the MSN program at King University, you must meet the following criteria:
- Completion of a bachelor's degree from an accredited nursing program.
- Students should have completed the following undergraduate courses with a course grade
of "C" or better:
- Nursing Research/Evidence-based Nursing Practice
- Health Assessment (not required for Nursing Administration)
- Pathophysiology (highly recommended for FNP and Nurse Educator applicants)
- Current unrestricted licensure to practice as a Registered Nurse in Tennessee (compact/multi-state accepted).
- One year work experience (required for FNP and PNP applicants)
- Current CPR or BLS certification.
- Cumulative grade point average of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale or better on all prior academic work. Students who do not meet this criteria may be conditionally accepted.
- Completion of application requirements and payment of application fee.
All potential students meeting the admission criteria will be reviewed. All MSN applicants, except Nursing Administration, will be interviewed by a faculty member prior to admission to the program. Admission will be granted on a competitive basis by the School of Nursing Admission Committee.
To apply for admission to the Master of Science in Nursing program, individuals must take the following steps:
- Submit a completed application.
- Pay the application fee of $25.
- Send a transcript request form to each college or university previously attended. Applicants should check with the Registrar from each institution for the appropriate transcript fee.
- When you apply online, please submit the names and preferred email addresses of two
individuals who will provide a recommendation for you. One should be from a person
who is familiar with your professional career and able to speak to your potential
professional competency in advanced practice/graduate education. A second should be
from a previous nursing faculty member who addresses your academic preparation and
potential for success at the graduate level. If we are unable to obtain the recommendation
by email, you may supply your recommender with a paper recommendation form, which
should arrive in a sealed envelope.
- Our application system requires recommendations be completed online by your recommenders.
- When completing your application you will be asked to identify two recommenders and enter their e-mail addresses.
- Not until after you click the final submit button for your application will your recommenders receive an email containing a link to a customized online recommendation form. After the initial request, the link is automatically sent once more one week later if the recommendation has still not been submitted.
- Once entered, any substitution to those two names must be handled by paper submission.
- Submit a Writing Sample addressing the following question within a 2-3 page limit: What is the role of graduate education in preparing nurses to meet the health needs of our society? Use a minimum of two peer-reviewed journals. The paper should be typed using APA style.
- Submit verification of current unencumbered Registered Nurse license from the Tennessee Board of Nursing. (When licensure is from another state, clinical placements will be arranged accordingly.)
- Submit a copy of current CPR certification.
- Copy of all certificates in an area of clinical specialization.
Application packet must be complete in its entirety by the following:
March 1 for a fall start 2018
October 1 for spring start 2018
All Graduate Students are subject to the Academic Policies of King University's Graduate and Professional Studies programs. In addition, the following policies shall apply:
Up to six graduate credits of "B" work or above from regionally accredited colleges or universities may be accepted in transfer toward meeting the elective requirements of the program.